Monday, September 3, 2012

Four More Years?

Setting:
A college aged man with a scruffy beard and long hair lays on a bed in a unpainted basement. The clock near him reads 3pm. He gazes at the faded Hope Obama poster on his wall.
Theres a knock on the door
He opens it.
Mandy Smith: Sam, are you napping?
Sam: Did you want to unbreak my heart?
Mandy Smith: No, I just wanted to get my poster back.
Sam: That poster is about hope. About a better future.
Mandy Smith: I am going to take it down.
She walks over to the poster, but he steps in front of her.
Sam: When we met at that rally I thought things would be different.
Mandy Smith: Until you start taking responsibility for your mistakes, all your future girlfriends will breakup with you like all of your previous.
She reaches up past him to pull the poster's corner. He pushes her hand.
Sam: But I want to do good! We can have a better relationship.
Mandy: No, we can't.
Sam: Yes We Can.
She pushes his hand away and jumps on his bed and starts to pull it down gently.
Sam jumps on the bed too and grabs her hand.
Sam: You need to give me one more chance, this time I'll keep my promises. I'll show up on time. I won't use the silent treatment. I won't borrow your money and waste it.
Mandy: Get out of my way.
Mandy squeezes past him and pulls the poster down. Sam grabs her from behind holding her.
Sam: Please please, please, Just give me four more years.
Mandy: Get off my back already!
She jumps off the bed and he lets her go. Then she holds the poster up.
Mandy: I gave you a chance. I thought you'd be different I had such dreams of what we could do together, but you ended up being like all the rest, and maybe even worse! Its over.
Mandy tears the poster in half. Sam jumps down and runs over to it. She drops it on the ground and turns and leaves.
He kneels down picking up the pieces and crying.


No comments:

Post a Comment